Moringa oil is extracted from the seeds of Moringa oleifera, also known as the Drumstick tree. This tree grows long pods which contain seeds. Its seeds are also quite nutritious as they contain high levels of B vitamins and Vitamin C. Moringa oil has got a special name, it is Ben oil. It is called so because it has high amounts of behenic acid.
The following steps are taken in preparing the seeds before extraction:
* Harvest pods when fully mature
* Sort seeds and remove any that are bad, have mold or rotten
* Dry seeds– moisture content should NOT be higher than 10%
(You may dry the seeds before or after dehulling)
* Remove husks or seed coats; you may dehull (shell) only 50%
* Separate the seedsfrom the chaff
* Cold press process is one of the easiest ways to extract moringa oil from the tree seeds.
Shelling machine may be electrically operated or manually operated for removing the seeds coats. It is best practice to extract oil from freshly shelled seeds. In case you leave the seeds for a lengthy duration after shelling before oil extraction, you will get dark coloured oil only. After you procure shelled seeds, assemble, set up the extraction machine including oil and seed cake collectors.
Once you have assembled oil press, you can switch on the power button on oil press. Allow the machine to run for a few minutes and then pour the shelled seeds on the input funnel. Within few minutes oil and seed cake comes out through different outlet. Pure virgin, cold pressed ben oil is a golden yellow colour. Allow the oil to settle for 2-3 days where it will go for sedimentation. When you do not allow for sedimentation before bottling, the oil will contain water. This may affect stability of this oil and its properties. Normally 1 kg of quality moringa oleifera seeds yields 120 ml of oil. In case the seeds are roasted brown, you will get more volume of the oil.
Decant the oil into a clean container, without disturbing the sediments in the bottom. Use a separating funnel or fine sieve filter to remove moisture and other impurities. The oil extracted from quality organic seeds should be free from metallic impurities and microbes. The oil extracted through cold press process is free from parabens, synthetic colouring agents, additives etc. As the seeds are procured from organic farms, they oil will be free from germicides, pesticides and insecticides.
GMO and gluten free cold pressed moringa seed oil is suitable for usage as major ingredient for organic personal care products formulation. Personal care products based on this oil are suitable for people with sensitive skin also.
Moringa oil exerts many therapeutic properties because of its unique nutrition.
* Antioxidant– Ben oil has strong antioxidant capacity.
* Anti-inflammatory– The oil reduces inflammation both topically and internally.
* Anti-aging– The oil provides nutrition to our skin and relieves aging signs.
* Anti-microbial– It is traditionally used to purify water and is shown to reduce bacterial counts.
* Disinfectant– can be used to treat wounds.
* Carrier– It is excellent carrier oil for aromatic compounds.
* Hepatoprotective– Moringa oil protects the liver from damage.
* Emollient– Moringa oil is a great moisturizer for the skin.
* Preservative– This oil resists rancidity and also used as preservative in certain products.
* Exfoliant– drives away dead skin cells.
* Enfleurage– Moringa oil absorbs the aroma of essential oils and other fragrant compounds like herbs, nuts, seeds, spices and chemicals. This makes it the perfect perfume base.